jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: coming back on the OCM reorg
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:03:45 GMT
Hi,

On 9/21/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Christophe Lombart <christophe.lombart@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/21/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> > > ...The obvious suggestion would be to drop java 1.4 support for the OCM,...
>
> > ...Even if the OCM is moving outside the contrib area, why not to make a
> > separate build process ?...
>
> I don't think it needs to be completely separate, a few different
> settings in the POMs would probably do. But I'm not the right person
> to talk about this, others here know the current build process and
> roadmap much better than I do.

I typically do the release builds on JDK 1.4 to make sure I catch any
references to new methods in the Java 5 class libraries (the POM
options only cover the language features), so from that perspective
keeping a Java 5 OCM out of the standard build would make sense.

I'd still have jackrabbit-ocm on the same directory level and with a
similar POM (i.e. referencing the same parent POM) as the other
release components, but I wouldn't include it in the normal
multimodule build.

Using Java 5 as the baseline for OCM would also remove the strict
requirement for placing the different mapping mechanisms in different
components, so I'd actually advocate using Java 5 and putting all the
mappings in the same main component.

BR,

Jukka Zitting