jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit board report draft
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:26:42 GMT
Hi,

Here's a draft of the Jackrabbit board report I plan to send later
today as a part of our normal reporting schedule. Please comment if
there's anything you would like to see added or clarified.

----

Apache Jackrabbit is a fully conforming implementation of the Content
Repository for Java Technology API (JCR, specified in JSR 170).

The Apache Jackrabbit project is in good shape. We have no board-level
issues at this time.

o Releases

  Apache Jackrabbit 1.3.1 was released in July.

  We are currently working on the 1.4 release, due out later this year.
  Jackrabbit 2.0, with JCR 2.0 support, will likely be released next year.

o Community

  Christoph Kiehl and Thomas Müller were added as a committers and
  PMC members. Brian Moseley resigned to emeritus status.

  The Jackrabbit PMC decided to sponsor the new incubating Sling project.
  There is lots of community overlap and interest in seeing more open
  source tools built on top of the JCR API.

  Our two Google Summer of Code projects ended successfully, even though
  the amount of community interaction related to the projects was lower
  than expected. The resulting JCR example applications will be used as a part
  of Jackrabbit documentation.

  There will be a JCR session in ApacheCon US, and JCR training (assuming
  enough attendance) in both ApacheCon US and OS Summit Asia. The Sling
  project will also be presented.

o Development

  We are seeing lots of development related especially to query features
  and a new storage model for binary content. There has also been
  interest in threads and locking behaviour within Jackrabbit core.

  We are promoting two prominent subprojects, the OCM and SPI
  layers, to release components in Jackrabbit 1.4.

  JSR 283 has released the public draft of the upcoming JCR 2.0
  specification, and we have started working on implementing the new
  new features. The goal is to make Jackrabbit 2.0 (or an early snapshot
  of the release) the reference implementation of JSR 283.

o Infrastructure

  We are considering switching from MoinMoin to Confluence for our wiki
  and using Confluence to manage also our official web site.

----

BR,

Jukka Zitting