jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Synchronized methods in ItemManager
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:46:48 GMT
Julian Reschke wrote:
> Marcel Reutegger wrote:
>> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>>
>>> - Could you please provide a pointer to that statement?
>>
>> well, maybe 'official' is the wrong term. whenever these kind of
>> questions arise on the mailing list, we tell people that reading from
>> multiple thread is probably safe, while writing is not. searching the
>> mail archive should give you some of those statements.
>
> I see. Note that you now said "is probably safe" :-)

yeah, I looked up the relevant messages in the archive and found that we only
say 'probably' ;)

>>> Finally, how does that translate to JCR2SPI and the SPI interfaces?
>>> It seems we need to clarify the thread-safety of
>>> spi.RepositoryService and spi.SessionInfo...
>>
>> I agree, we should definitively do that. Again, I think jcr2spi should
>> be entirely thread safe for any kind of operation, while the SPI level
>> is IMO debatable, because it is at a lower level.
>
> FWIW, we should make up our minds what we want to agree, and clearly
> document that. I don't care a lot about what we say, but I'm not
> convinced that guaranteeing more than JSR-170 says would be good for
> interoperability of clients.

well, the main reason behind my call for a thread-safe implementation is for
clients that use a session from multiple sessions *by mistake* and not on
purpose. the repository should not break in any case.

regards
  marcel