jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel May <marcel....@consol.de>
Subject Re: master plan for jsr 283 query implementation
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:36:19 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>> use javacc for SQL2 parsing
>>
>> I would use a hand-written recursive descent parser. I know I'm
>> probably the only one suggesting this...
>
> what are the advantages of a hand-written parser over a generated one?
>
> probably performance, but are there other?

- Extensibility and easier maintenance

- ANTLR/JavaCC are more or less 'standards'

- Don't reinvent the wheel :-) It's nice to write your own parser and
lexer, but why do that if
  you get a perfectly generated one?
  You'll be faster, too, in terms of performance and implementation time.
  The generated lexer/parser are proven to work in many other projects.

- You need to define the grammar anyway, and eg JavaCC can generate
Javadoc like grammar documentation using JJDoc
> regards
>  marcel

Cheers,
Marcel