jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Martijn Hendriks" <marti...@gx.nl>
Subject RE: Validation in QName class
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:17:27 GMT
Hi,

> On 9/17/07, Martijn Hendriks <martijnh@gx.nl> wrote:
> > Performance is a good argument of course. For this
> particular problem,
> > however, I think that some check inside Jackrabbit is
> needed because
> > the whole repository may become unusable by one wrong QName. The
> > NodeTypeRegistry.validateNodeTypeDef method could be used for that.
> > What do you think about adding some checks for invalid QNames there?
>
> Sounds like a patch? :-)

Well, yes :).

> However, the officially supported node type registration
> methods are the ones in o.a.j.api.JackrabbitNodeTypeManager,
> and there we do validate all the QNames. If you are using
> NodeTypeRegistry directly, then I think it should be your
> responsibility to do the validation before constructing the
> QName instances.

Ok, that's fair. We use the NodeTypeRegistry directly because we need to
re-register nodetypes sometimes. The NodeTypeRegistry already has a
method checkNamespace to check that the URI of a QName has been
registered. Wouldn't adding a check with the NameFormat.checkFormat on
the local name of the QName only make the registry more robust?

Best wishes,

Martijn