jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: master plan for jsr 283 query implementation
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:59:51 GMT
Hi,

After having read all the messages in this thread starting with this
note, I just want to throw my $.02 into the pot:

I admit feeling more comfortable with good hand-written parsers, too. It
is easy after all: You just convert each BNF statement into a method and
you are almost done. Tokenizing is definitely a separate step - yet
depending on the set of terminal symbols not that complicated, either.

Reading and understanding a clean hand-written parser containing the
actual BNF as comments is much easier than understand JavaCC code (don't
know about ANTLR, and yacc is similar :-) ). And this has a direct
influence on the quality of the code :-)

BTW: I also have encountered parsers implemented as a State Machine with
one huge method looping over the symbols and setting state and having a
huge switch statement ... Well in such cases, I would rather suggest to
use a generator :-)

Regards
Felix