jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <christ...@sulu3000.de>
Subject Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:30:20 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:

> I would prefer a new QueryHandler class that extends SearchIndex or create a
> common base class for both the current SearchIndex and the new
> implementation. That way we can change the sample configuration for 1.4 to
> the new implementation while at the same time existing workspaces that are
> upgraded to 1.4 will still work.
>
> further development will then only happen on the new QueryHandler
> implementation and people are encouraged to migrate to the new
> implementation.

Hm, I don't feel comfortable extending from a soon to be deprecated class, which
contains 95% of the functionality, to implement new features. As far as I can
see all that needs to be modified to support the changes suggested by Ard is
LuceneQueryBuilder and NodeIndexer. I would rather pass a flag to those to
classes or extract the old and the new functionality to two classes that extend
the same interface. This interface could then be used by the two classes and an
appropriate instance could be injected by SearchIndex (strategy pattern).

Cheers,
Christoph