jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <christ...@sulu3000.de>
Subject Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:22:50 GMT
Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> Since IMO this is such a performance and scalability improvement I want to
> discuss the backwards compatability for older jackrabbit releases which have
> an index which is not suitable for this new approach. Checking the current
> index at startup and then fallback to old index style if no fieldName
> FieldNames.PROPERTIES_SET is present seems a little "hacky" to me to
> implement. What I would like is to enable people to choose between two index
> types within the searchindex configuration, something like:
>
> <param name="index-type" value="old"/> old|new

Well I don't think it's that hacky. All values you set in the search index
configuration end up in SearchIndex anyway. AFAIK all you need to do there is to
add the following line to SearchIndex.doInit():

boolean propertySetSupported = index.getIndexReader().getFieldNames(
     FieldOption.ALL).contains(FieldNames.PROPERTIES)
     || index.getIndexReader().numDocs() == 0;

I think it might become "hacky" if this flag is used all over the place to
decide how to handle certain queries. I'll comment on Marcels reponse to discuss
this.

Cheers,
Christoph