jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl ...@sulu3000.de>
Subject Nodetype reregistration and JackrabbitNodeTypeManager
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:06:07 GMT
Hi,

on the user list the question arose whether it is possible to reregister
node types via RMI. Currently JackrabbitNodeTypeManager doesn't expose
NodeTypeManagerImpl.registerNodeTypes(InputStream, String, boolean)
which allows to enable reregistration.
There are two options to implement this feature:

1. Extend JackrabbitNodeTypeManager with another method (might be the
signature from above or a "reregister()" methode)
2. Change the default behaviour of
NodeTypeManagerImpl.registerNodeTypes(InputStream, String) to always try
to reregister node types.

I'm in favour of option two because

a) I don't want to add more methods to JackrabbitNodeTypeManager if
avoidable because node type registration will change anyway with JCR 2.0.
b) I think it's more natural. If I try to register a node type I do this
because I want this node type to be registered and not because I want to
check if it is already registered and get an exception back if it is.
There are other ways to find out if a node type is registered. Is there
any reason not just try to reregister existing nodetypes by default?

Cheers,
Christoph