jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Pfister" <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit, the database
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:14:20 GMT
On 21/08/07, Padraic Hannon <pih@wasabicowboy.com> wrote:
> I concur, relational semantics should be buried within the persistence
> managers. However, I think that one can still delegate transaction
> handling using JTA to the container rather than using synchronization
> and connection.autocommit(false).

One should keep in mind that there is one good reason for JR to
synchronize writes and handle transactions itself: if users
simultaneously change the same node, these changes may either be
conflicting or non-conflicting and resolving this requires quite a
deep knowledge of a node's internal semantics. If one removes
synchronization completely and relies on the database to tell whether
such a change is allowed or not, I can very well imagine that one ends
up either with non-conflicting changes being rejected, or with
conflicting changes being silently merged.

Dominique