jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:42:48 GMT

> Marcel Reutegger wrote:
>
> > I would prefer a new QueryHandler class that extends
> SearchIndex or create a
> > common base class for both the current SearchIndex and the new
> > implementation. That way we can change the sample
> configuration for 1.4 to
> > the new implementation while at the same time existing
> workspaces that are
> > upgraded to 1.4 will still work.
> >
> > further development will then only happen on the new QueryHandler
> > implementation and people are encouraged to migrate to the new
> > implementation.
>
> Christoph Kiehl wrote:
> Hm, I don't feel comfortable extending from a soon to be
> deprecated class, which
> contains 95% of the functionality, to implement new features.
> As far as I can
> see all that needs to be modified to support the changes
> suggested by Ard is
> LuceneQueryBuilder and NodeIndexer. I would rather pass a
> flag to those to
> classes or extract the old and the new functionality to two
> classes that extend
> the same interface. This interface could then be used by the
> two classes and an
> appropriate instance could be injected by SearchIndex
> (strategy pattern).

I did not know about the soon to be deprecated class. I am not fully aware about what at this
moment might be the best place/way to hook it in, and nor how it might be influenced by the
new jsr 283, so I'll just wait what you guys think what is the best. If you have agreed on
the implementation, I can implement it and send the patch

Regard Ard