jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database connections & queries
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:23:39 GMT
hi martijn,

On 8/22/07, Martijn Hendriks <martijnh@gx.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently we discovered that our server application needs to be restarted
> if Jackrabbit looses its database connection (which was already
> documented in JCR-940). We really need the reconnection logic and
> created a patch (feedback much appreciated :)). As a side effect of this
> we also noticed the following w.r.t. the query system: The current
> implementation of the LazyScoreNodeIterator is such to ignore all
> RepositoryExceptions that might be thrown while loading the nodes in the
> result set, as required by the javax.jcr.NodeIterator spec. For the use
> case where the database connection is lost, the iterator thus gives an
> incomplete result: only the nodes that are currently cached are
> returned.
>
> The incomplete search result that is due to a lost connection is bad for
> us as our app caches search results which we know to be stable. This can

i agree that this is a problem.

> be solved by letting the persistence managers block while there's no
> database connection available. (The patch for JCR-940 does not do this,
> however). Of course this has its advantages and disadvantages; maybe the
> PMs behaviour w.r.t. a lost connection should be configurable via the
> repository.xml?

i don't think that a call to the PM should unconditionally block if it lost the
connection to the backend. it should report the error if it didn't succeed in
re-establishing the connection. otherwise JCR api calls could potentially
block forever.

wrt to your problem: you could e.g. compare the value returned by
NodeIterator#getSize with the number of successful #nextNode calls
in order to detect skipped entries. however, entries could be skipped for
other reasons (like e.g. access control).

cheers
stefan