jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR 2.0 extensions
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:12:57 GMT
Hi,

> so we would probably try to postpone any work that would
> require the api change (which in my mind is very little) to
> the latest point in time possible.

Maybe there is a time where you want to support both APIs. But that's
probably not as important as for JDBC, where the API version is bound
to the JDK.

> adding a return value ... does not break existing code

Not user code. But it does break JCR implementations (Jackrabbit for example).

> harmless and suitable for a 2.0 release.

It is not unproblematic, but the advantages to change are probably
higher than the disadvantages. In the JDBC API such changes were never
be made. It was always adding more methods and classes, never adding
thrown exceptions to methods or changing the return value.

Thomas