jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:36:49 GMT
Ard Schrijvers wrote:
> So, WDOT about indexing properties in seperate lucene Fields, and about
> possibly indexing more information of one property.

Because the number of distinct property names in jackrabbit is unlimited (think
of nt:unstructured nodes), this would lead to a great number of files created by
lucene. for each field (this actually changed with version 2.1) lucene creates a
separate file. That's basically the reason why I put them all into one field.
See [1] and [2].
We should probably re-consider using a 1:1 mapping between jcr property names
and lucene fields, since we also got rid of the norms with [3].

> My experience with
> lucene, is that indexing tactically, eases querying a lot, and gains you lots
> of performance. So, if you do agree on these changes, which I can try to
> build in Jackrabbit, then I think these changes might validate a new
> QueryHandler class to be build aside the old one. WDOT?

I'm all for making the index better, however I'm a bit skeptical when it comes
to virtual fields. This is not just an optimization but a new jackrabbit
specific feature that we would introduce.

regards
  marcel

[1] http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html#Normalization%20Factors
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-106