jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Padraic Hannon <...@wasabicowboy.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit, the database
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:02:16 GMT
On a similar subject, has any one looked at Freebase? It is built upon
Metaweb which is described in their manual as: "A Metaweb database is a
sea of knowledge organized as a graph: a set of nodes and a set of links
or relationships between those nodes."

After playing with it for a while it is very similar in concept to
jackrabbit/jcr however it is primarily using json for queries and object
representation. This an mix-ins is what is sparking my dynamic typing
thoughts. My point in bringing this up is that there seems to be a
movement illustrated by both jcr and this metaweb idea which is a step
back and at the same time a forward movement towards tree based data
structures with reference-able links. Perhaps this also means moving
away not only from RDBMS systems as core storage but also away from
their query languages such as SQL. The metaweb json system is extremely
interesting and seems easy and powerful, worth taking a look at.

-paddy