jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:57:44 GMT
Christoph Kiehl wrote:
> Hm, I don't feel comfortable extending from a soon to be deprecated
> class, which contains 95% of the functionality, to implement new
> features.

If we create a new query handler class and deprecate SearchIndex then we should
probably extract a common base class for SearchIndex and the new handler.
Extending from SearchIndex is in fact nasty.

> As far as I can see all that needs to be modified to support
> the changes suggested by Ard is LuceneQueryBuilder and NodeIndexer. I
> would rather pass a flag to those to classes or extract the old and the
> new functionality to two classes that extend the same interface. This
> interface could then be used by the two classes and an appropriate
> instance could be injected by SearchIndex (strategy pattern).

It seems like we have now three options:

1) New QueryHandler class
2) Introduce parameter in configuration
3) Auto-detect in SearchIndex

I prefer 1) because it makes it explicit. I have reservations regarding 3)
because it introduces some magic. I don't like 2) because we probably cannot
come up with a sensible name ;)

regards
  marcel