jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: improving the scalability in searching
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:37:46 GMT
Ard Schrijvers wrote:
> Since IMO this is such a performance and scalability improvement I want to
> discuss the backwards compatability for older jackrabbit releases which have
> an index which is not suitable for this new approach. Checking the current
> index at startup and then fallback to old index style if no fieldName
> FieldNames.PROPERTIES_SET is present seems a little "hacky" to me to
> implement. What I would like is to enable people to choose between two index
> types within the searchindex configuration, something like:
>
> <param name="index-type" value="old"/> old|new
>
> and have this value for all 1.3.x releases set to old, and from the 1.4.0
> release, set it to new. People can then use the 1.4.0 version with the old
> index type.

I would prefer a new QueryHandler class that extends SearchIndex or create a
common base class for both the current SearchIndex and the new implementation.
That way we can change the sample configuration for 1.4 to the new
implementation while at the same time existing workspaces that are upgraded to
1.4 will still work.

further development will then only happen on the new QueryHandler implementation
and people are encouraged to migrate to the new implementation.

regards
  marcel