jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:30:31 GMT
Hi,

the JSR-170 spec explicitly states that references are within the
same workspace only. generally, there are a number of issues with
cross workspace references. to mention one, your session is
tied to one workspace and the access to another workspace
is not obvious without creating another session.
also, since there can be multiple workspaces with the node
with that given UUID it would not be trivial to identify the node
just through the UUID. referential integrity is a whole
different issue.

In JSR-283 cross repository and cross workspace references
are considered as a topic to resolve.

In my experience I found that a lot of people that were interested in
cross workspace references were not really looking for all the
attributes of a JCR reference and either ended up putting all the data
into one workspace (rightfully so, since the workspace metaphore is frequently
abused as some grouping or even access control mechanism) or
used for example UUID's as strings and resolved the reference in the application
with a getByUUID() call on the target workspace.

Maybe you can outline your usecase a little bit more in detail, I
would be happy to see what suggestions I could come up with.

regards,
david

.ps: I read the property in your example as a "reference" property,
since there is no
"referenceable" property. I assume that's correct, right?