jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Pfister" <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: Questions about TX in Jackrabbit, JTA and Spec compliance
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:25:17 GMT
Hi Marcel,

On 7/9/07, Marcel May <marcel.may@consol.de> wrote:
> I have two questions about Jackrabbit and tx handling.
>
> 1) Using Jackrabbit deployed as resource adapter (JCA) and using a
> BundlePersistenceManager, I wonder if it is XA compliant:
>
> The persistence manager BundleDbPersistenceManager invokes
> setAutoCommit() and commit() on the db connection in the
> store(ChangeLog) method.
>
> This is illegal for managed connections (JTA and XA), right?
> So what is the right PM/FS for JCA when I want XA? Is it possible at all?

The JDBC connection Jackrabbit uses is not a "shared resource",
managed by some external component, but opened/used/closed by
Jackrabbit itself. Therefore, I don't consider this behaviour as being
illegal in terms of JTA/XA. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

> 2) I wonder if the current Jackrabbit impl. is specification conform.
>    I see a conflict with the JCR spec, chapter 8.1 about TXs and JCR
> implementations:
>
> "A compliant content repository may support transactions. If it does
> so, it must adhere to the Java Transaction API (JTA) specification
> (see http://java.sun.com/products/jta/index.html).
> Whether a particular implementation supports transactions can be
> determined by querying the repository descriptor table with
> Repository.getDescriptor("OPTION_TRANSACTIONS_SUPPORTED")"
>
> The return value of
> session.getRepository().getDescriptor("option.transactions.supported")
> is true, but no JTA is used (again, look at the persistence manager
> implementations like BundlePersistenceManager, where TX operations are
> performed directly on the database connection instead handled by a
> transaction manager).

I'm not sure if I get you there: should Jackrabbit return "false"
because of your first argument above?

Kind regards
Dominique