jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Annotation based implementation of jackrabbit ocm
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:01:58 GMT
Hi all,

Cool !

But: There is one important issue, though. Using annotations (out of the
box) requires Java 5, while Jackrabbit is still AFAIK intended to the
usable with Java 1.4.

Thus we would have to carefully decided on whether and how to apply this
patch to not loose 1.4 compatibility support. My understanding is, that
we have to support 1.4 as long as it is officially supported.

> We are having trouble with the collection
> mapping as the unit test shows, in case anyone has a better
> understanding of ocm and can figure out.

I did not run the tests. Just out of my head also trying annotation
support (but using QDox and a Maven plugin, and yes, Java annotations
are cooler :-) ), I remember the main issues regarding node type
management is that intermediate nodes would be required, which may not
easily be declared.

To illustrate (simplified):

   <class-descriptor class="Xyz">
     <collection-descriptor name="data" elementclass="Data"/>
   <class-descriptor class="Data>
     <field-descriptor name="datum" />

The actual node types would be (simplified CND):

   Xyz > nt:base
     + data (DataList)
   DataList > nt:base
     + * (Data)
   Data > nt:base
     - datum (String)

Here, we cannot easily create a descriptor for the DataList node type.
Is this also your issue ?

View raw message