jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric Esnault <f...@legisway.com>
Subject RE: Jackrabbit press release
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:44:51 GMT
-----Message d'origine-----
De : Jukka Zitting [mailto:jukka.zitting@gmail.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 29 juin 2007 13:30
À : dev@jackrabbit.apache.org
Objet : Re: Jackrabbit press release

> Personally I find milestones in this process to be
> much more interesting and newsworthy than reaching a plateau where
> nothing much happens anymore.

Right, but IMO a milestone is more interesting for technical audience than end users. But
in the other end, of course, doing so will prevent some from thinking it has fell into the
"abandoned" status.

> Are you saying that a too big portion of new users are going to
> encounter and be burned by problems or limitations in Jackrabbit? I'm
> actually happy to see some complaints and concerns coming from users
> as that's an important way to identify and prioritize things to be
> fixed. But of course I don't want a majority of users to turn back in
> disgust and never come back.

No I'm not saying that. I'm sure plenty of users just need some basic features. I'm in fact
in need of a fully JSR-170 (and maybe 283)-compliant JCR, and Jackrabbit is supposed to be
a good candidate. But I need advanced features, like a complete node type administration (modifications,
refactoring, deletion...), a powerful and efficient search engine, and so on. Of course all
users won't need all this, and will be very happy with their jackrabbit experience. Some,
building some more touchy applications, will need more. And the "experts - who said mavens?
-" are not going to look at basic features, but more on what makes Jackrabbit noise exciting,
all the L1, L2 and optional features implemented.

Problem is, I don't know what is the proportion of users that'll need only what jackrabbit
already has...I think you know better than me, as you have more input from more users than
I have.

> More users means more contributions means more progress... :-)

Right, 100 % :-)

> I hear you and will certainly take your points home. It might be
> better to wait for Jackrabbit 2.0 before going for more major
> publicity.

I'm glad you include my opinion in your decision process, but it's just my opinion, many other
will have one (different or not), maybe there is enough audience that will be very happy with
the 1.4 to justify the press release. And maybe not.... Lucky I'm not you, I don't have to
take the decision :-D

Anyway, I'll be there if you need more opinions (or if you know about a place with fireworks,
beers and girls !)

Frederic Esnault