jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Edgar Poce" <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: removing projects from contrib
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:30:07 GMT
Hi Jukka,

> Hi,
> On 6/5/07, Edgar Poce <edgarpoce@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's my understanding that projects under contrib should be there
> > only if it's planned to release them. However, there are a few contrib
> > projects I contributed that I think don't match this criteria because
> > it's been a while since they are in contrib and there's no interest
> > from the community.
> You're correct about the release requirement; we shouldn't keep code
> that we have no intention of ever releasing. This however doesn't
> meant that each of the contrib components should have a tight roadmap
> of when and how they will be included in Jackrabbit releases.

IMHO an almost two years stay in contrib is a good indicator that the
contrib project would probably never be released.

> I'm
> happy to keep contrib components around as long as they are related to
> JCR and have at least a remote chance of getting released in the
> future.

It can be around with a link in the wiki and it might come back in
case there's interest. Once in google code it can be released under
lower standards than apache projects.
When I download code from Apache I expect an active community behind
it, of both users and developers. IMHO It's not the case with the
projects listed above.

> > If no one opposes I'd like to remove the following projects.
> >
> > - vfs
> > - sanitycheck
> > - jcr-taglib
> > - jcr-commands
> > - jcr-navigator
> >
> > I have interest in jcr-taglib, commands and navigator, I used them in
> > previous projects and I'll probably use them again, so if no one
> > opposes I'd like move them to google code or sourceforge.

> You're of course free to take the code
> elsewhere,

I know, but I wanted to know others opinions before moving the code.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

> but if you do see yourself working with them also in the
> future, then I would instead suggest that we push to get the
> components promoted to release status within Jackrabbit.

AFAIK I'm the only one interested in maintaining those projects and I
don't think I'll have the time to provide the support other jackrabbit
subprojects have, that's why I think these projects should be released
under lower standards than at Apache.  However, since there's no hurry
I think we can wait and see whether this situation changes. In any
case we can resume the conversation at another time.

Thank you very much for your help,

> Having the
> components integrated in the main buid system and included in official
> release would likely lower the bar for more people to use them. All
> the above components pass at least my informal code and design quality
> metrics for inclusion in Jackrabbit releases.
> BR,
> Jukka Zitting

View raw message