jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Gordon <randy...@yahoo.com>
Subject JSR-170 license
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:35:55 GMT
I started writing a JackRabbit Eclipse plugin, and decided to include the JSR-170 javadocs.

As I read the license for the JSR-170  specification on  http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/licenses/day-spec-license.htm.
it seems pretty clear you cannot, under any conditions, use any product implementing a  JSR-170
implementation for other than evaluation uses.

Umm, is this correct? It really kinda limits the use of Jackrabbit, since it falls under the
license as a JSR-170 implementation and, well, I don't mind doing a plugin for the Open Source
community, but I draw the line at donating it to a commercial company.

As near as I can tell (I am no lawyer) it is viral, it also claims rights to any product that
merely uses the JSR-170 specification

However, I did a BI application  for a patent search company a while back, and, learned a
little bit about patent squatting.

While this license COULD be interpreted to apply only to the specification itself, the courts
tend to take a narrower view.

Finally, I am at a loss as to why why this license is even necessary for a specification that
is intended for use by other commercial companies.

The relevant passages are below:

1. License for Purposes of Evaluation and Developing Applications. Licensor hereby grants
you a fully-paid, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, limited license (without the
right to sublicense), under Licensor's applicable intellectual property rights to view, download,
use and reproduce the Specification only for the purpose of internal evaluation. This includes
developing applications intended to run on an implementation of the Specification provided
 that such applications do not themselves implement any portion(s) of the Specification.

Building a website is a piece of cake.