jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Generation Persistence
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:53:37 GMT
Hi,

On 6/11/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On 6/11/07, Thomas Mueller <thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...It sounds like MVCC (multi version concurrency control) in databases....
>
> > ...Of course we don't need to rebuild a database, but maybe reuse
> > some ideas...
>
> These snippets, and the similarities between Jackrabbit's storage and
> databases, make me think that collaborating with other projects might
> help...I'm no expert on database internals, but has someone compared
> Jackrabbit's persistence requirements with Derby's, or with those of
> another Java-based database?

I actually did discuss with some Derby people about such potential
co-operation during the last ApacheCon US in Austin, but nothing
really did come out of that so far.

On the other end of the spectrum there also seems to be some interest
within Lucene to bring their persistence model closer to a "database"
model. I think there might be some nice convergence (see [1] for more)
ahead and it would be way cool if we could achieve something like that
in cooperation with other projects.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-general/200705.mbox/%3c510143ac0705111204r62bda0b5v8b063033fba227b@mail.gmail.com%3e

> If the requirements match reasonably well, it might make sense to
> collaborate with others, and maybe even create reusable "Java
> persistence" components in a separate or sub-project?

Do you have some good forum in mind for initiating such discussions,
or should we just start pinging other projects to gauge interest?

BR,

Jukka Zitting