jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: removing projects from contrib
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:55:00 GMT
Hi,

On 6/6/07, Christophe Lombart <christophe.lombart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > All the above components pass at least my informal code and design quality
> > metrics for inclusion in Jackrabbit releases.
>
> I'm very interesting to have more info on your "informal" metrics. I would
> like to review the OCM code quality.

I should have seen this coming... now I need to put something in
writing. :-) Don't take this as something carved in stone, it's just
the (current) opinion of one developer.

My primary metric for code is whether it does something useful. I
would be happy to release even a butt-ugly hack if it implements a
good use case.

My secondary metrics are more related to maintainability of the code.
Releasing something puts at least some burden on us to maintain the
code and the easier that is the better. The most essential stuff are
simple things like source formatting and a consistent coding style.
The code should be at least somewhat readable and preferably contain
at least some comments. The design of the codebase should be
reasonably intuitive so that for example looking just at the package
names should give you a good idea of how the code is organized. Any
dependencies should also be reasonable (e.g. no snapshots) and legally
acceptable (see http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).

The final, nice-to-have metrics are then related to the elegance of
the codebase. Concerns should be cleanly separated, class definitions
should be intuitive and orthogonal, etc. Working with the code should
feel natural and fun. Sometimes formal metrics can be used to
approximate this, but most often this is just a highly subjective
area.

BR,

Jukka Zitting