jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Christophe Lombart" <christophe.lomb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web app design pattern questions
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:48:50 GMT
> When possible I typically try to avoid extra layers on top of JCR.
> Unlike relational databases, JCR is actually quite "OO-friendly" so
> the need for an DAO/DTO layer is not that big. Typically such a layer
> just ends up limiting the available functionality.
>
> I'm not against the OCM tool as is, I think it is very useful when you
> already have an existing object model to be persisted, but if you get
> to start from scratch then I would rather recommend directly using
> JCR.

Personally, I think JCR is an excellent choice for the persistence layer
but not in the business services and presentation layer.

Building business logic with "business" objects is less verbose and more
easy to maintain. Furthermore, it is always interesting to make abstraction
on the technology to use in the persistent  layer. A lot of web design
patterns used for DB web app can be used also for JCR web app.

My favourite way of working with JCR is to treat nodes as stateful
> resources, and my code as a set of stateless operations to be applied
> on those resources. Such an approach is very "web-friendly".

When a remote JCR server is used, what about a JCR session pool (in each web
apps accessing the JCR server) and a complete stateless situation ?  I would
like to test this kind of situation with Jackrabbit.