jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From bilobag <bilo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Web app design pattern questions
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:56:22 GMT

I am in the beginning stages of a web based CMS tool using JSF, Spring and
Jackrabbit.  Please give any design advice you may have for the following
questions:

1) I have 3 node types. Content, book, magazine.  Book and magazine extend
the content type.  They all have some common properties and some different
properties.  Now I first thought about creating wrapper classes that just
wrap the Node object and provide getters/setters for any properties I have
for each nodeType.  However, I am unsure if this is a good idea possibly
because of locking and concurrency issues.  I don't know if its a better
idea to have data transfer objects instead to move data to/from the front
end.  However, its more work to have to copy the propertys to/from the DTO
objects back into the node, but it could be the safer design.

2) When adding a node, if I use my node wrapper classes, I will call
addNode() on the parent and wrap the child node.  Then forward to the form
page where the node data is entered...then call save().  The only issue is
that when you call addNode, you need to specify the path/name of the node.
I will not have this information until after the user submits the form.
First, how important is the path/name of the node?  To me it seems like it
should always be unique amongst nodes with the same parent.  Second, this
goes back to my first question where i'm not sure whether to use DTO's or
node wrapper classes.  If i use DTO's, adding won't be an issue.  Please
give any design advice you may have.  Thanks.