jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <christ...@sulu3000.de>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Scalability / Performance
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:16:32 GMT
David Nuescheler wrote:

>>    Is there support for defining archival / retention policies?
> jackrabbit certainly offers the hooks to build recordsmanagment
> but does not come with ootb archival or retention facilties.
>
>>    Is there support for backups ?
> for the most convenient backup i would recommend to persist the entire
> content repository in an rdbms and use the rdbms features for backup.

AFAIK you should as well backup your index files. We've got a fairly large
workspace with about 3,5GB of data. If we just backup the rdbms data and rebuilt
the index based on that data it takes some hours. This is unacceptable if you
need to recover a production system. Our current solution is to shutdown the
repository for a short time start the rdbms backup and copy the index files.
When index file copying is finished we startup the repository again, while the
rdbms backup is still running (we use oracle which allows you write operations
which don't affect the backup data).
If you know about a better solution without shutting down the repository in
between I would like to hear about it.

Cheers,
Christoph