jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NGP: Value records
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:52:26 GMT
Hi,

> On 4/25/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I see. Now my next question is: how do you clean behind? If a value
> > > becomes unreferenced will you or will you not clear it?
> >
> > It won't be cleared unless the repository gets explicitly recreated
> > using some vacuuming process. I don't think this is a problem since
> > there's only a single copy of any unique value.
>
> So, in case where is solution is used for storying large binary
> values, the benefit of storying a single value with references will be
> quite lost from the perspective of saving storage space.

My main worry about losing storage space are cases where you are
versioning large binaries or managing multiple clones of entire
workspaces. In such cases you could easily reach dozens or even
hundredths of copies of your content, with which even cheap storage
wouldn't help. Having extra unused binaries in the repository is not
nearly as bad.

Additionally, there's a good case to be made for never removing anything.

> Sorry, for asking so many question (and maybe sounding a bit negative)
> but I am having the feeling that there may be some missing things :-).

No problem, this is exactly why I started this thread. I'm quite
certain I'm missing something or at least misjudging some constraints,
so all feedback is very much welcome.

BR,

Jukka Zitting