jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using snapshot builds with maven guide
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:58:13 GMT
Hi,

On 4/18/07, Christoph Kiehl <christoph@sulu3000.de> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > The build number that replaces the "SNAPSHOT" part is essentially a
> > timestamp and a sequence number. Since the different components are
> > built and deployed separately, they receive different timestamps and
> > sequence numbers.
>
> Actually it seems like the timestamp is the same for every artifact in the build
> cycle, but the sequence number differs. I think the sequence numbers should be
> the same as well. I don't know why they differ. Maybe one of the subprojects was
> added later?

Ah, perhaps Maven is using a single timestamp for the entire
multimodule build and deploy process. The sequence numbers are managed
in the maven-metadata.xml files on the snapshot repository. Each
component has it's own sequence number, which will get out of sync
from other component sequences whenever someone deploys a snapshot of
just that component or for example if the multimodule build on the
Jackrabbit zone fails after already deploying a part of the
components.

> > Basically I believe Maven should resolve "SNAPSHOT" to the latest
> > build in the repository and internally still use "SNAPSHOT" as the
> > version, but I might be mistaken. Perhaps we should replace the
> > ${version} variables with actual "1.4-SNAPSHOT" version labels in the
> > dependencyManagement part of the parent POM. I'll look into that.
>
> That should actually solve the problem. The problem here is that you have to
> update the parent pom on each release.

That's a small price to pay, as I've in any case used "perl -i -pe
s/x.y-SNAPSHOT/.../" to do the version updates.

BR,

Jukka Zitting