jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Generation Persistence
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:59:47 GMT
Hi,

On 4/13/07, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> hmm, I see. there seems to be a fundamental mismatch between the spi and the ngp
> design. The spi clearly decouples the transient changes from the server whereas
> the ngp rather integrates them more tightly into the core.

Agreed. I think the mismatch is an example of the more general
tradeoffs between remote and local access. For a remote client it
definitely makes sense to keep the transient space local as long as
possible, but for a local client this is not a strict requirement,
just one design option among others.

I'm not sure how serious this mismatch is in practice. It would be
nice if we could resolve it, but apart from duplicating the code
related to transient changes and requiring extra copies of transient
content it doesn't seem to have a too big impact on most use cases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting