jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Generation Persistence
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:50:57 GMT
Hi,

On 4/13/07, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > In fact most of that could already be achieved by a Batch
> > implementation that is backed by the draft revision. The main problem
> > at the moment is that the client still needs to keep a full copy of
> > everything it passes to the Batch in order to properly support reading
> > transient changes. Would it be possible to add getter methods to the
> > Batch interface?
>
> a batch is distinct from transient changes because it potentially is only a
> subset of the transient changes (when save is called on an item that is not the
> root node and the workspace has changes not just below that item). as a
> consequence a batch is only created when save is called. whether a 'full copy'
> is required depends on the SPI implementation. it is also possible to interpret
> the client-side calls on the batch directly into server-side calls of the native
> store. in that case no copies are created except whatever is required/needed in
> the native storage.

The copies I'm concerned about are created when a client wants to read
a property that has not yet been persisted. For example if I want to
do a large XML import and postprocess it before persisting all the
changes. The "draft revision" model would nicely support such a use
case without excessive memory requirements or having to make another
copy of the subtree when saving it.

> counter question: would it be possible to create a draft revision that is
> immediately persisted?

Certainly,  but see the concerns above. Doing that loses some of the
nice session management features outlined in the proposal.

> I'd rather not create objects in the core or the server that are long lived and
> potentially not used because a client decides to discard a draft revision.

A draft revision that gets discarded would just get removed from the
disk, so I don't think this is a problem.

BR,

Jukka Zitting