jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating Nodes is Excruciatingly Slow
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:04:33 GMT
Hi,

> On 4/11/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You are probably running the content repository on a separate server
> > than the database. The database persistence manager performance is
> > quite sensitive to network latency, so the roundtrip time to the
> > database server should be < 10ms.
>
> It must be something else because from 10ms up to 10-20seconds is a
> lot of time :-).

Note that the current database persistence managers use a separate
roundtrip for each node *and* property. Together with making the nodes
versionable (i.e. creating the version history and root version nodes)
and checking in the first version I wouldn't be surprized if the given
save operation ends up doing something like 50 roundtrips. With 20ms
per roundtrip that would already be 10 seconds for a single save.

The main perfromance boost from the bundle persistence manager comes
from the fact that it "bundles" all the properties of a node in the
database record used to store the node. This drops the number of
database calls dramatically and would in a case like this probably
give at least an order of magnitude more performance. (Note that the
performance boost is best for write operations, as read costs are
pretty well amortized by internal caching in Jackrabbit.)

BR,

Jukka Zitting