jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:37:17 GMT
Hi,

Based on some idle thinking I've written up a proposed model for next
gneration persistence in Jackrabbit. Instead of trying to explain the
whole idea in an email I've written a web page (with diagrams!) to
describe the model in more detail. You can find the model description
at http://jackrabbit.apache.org/dev/ngp.html (it's not linked in the
menu).

To summarize, the model I'm proposing brings a heavily abstracted
persistence layer up as the central focus point of the entire
repository architecture. The persistence model I'm proposing has
implications all the way to things like clustering implementation,
node type management, and session handling. In fact it would
revolutionarize almost all parts of Jackrabbit core. ;-)

On the other hand, instead of seeing the proposed model as a
revolution, it could be seen simply as a way to raise the prominence
of the ChangeLog class over the ItemState  model. Currently ItemStates
are the central concept in Jackrabbit and the ChangeLog class is just
a way to group together a set of ItemState changes. In the model I'm
proposing the ChangeLog, or a revision, would instead become the
central concept that governs not only read and write operations but
also things like transactions and observation to a much greater degree
than it does today.

There are a number of open issues with the proposal, especially how to
make it perform well and not use too much disk space, but I feel that
the model is interesting enough for serious consideration and perhaps
even early prototyping. I'm especially interested in hearing your
thoughts on how feasible you think such a model would be and what
potential pitfalls I may have missed. Any other comments and ideas are
also welcome.

BR,

Jukka Zitting