jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 1.2.3, RecordInput/DatabaseJournal
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:42:22 GMT

Dominique,

We have over the past 3-4 years moved away from database persistence for
the body of files since a number of Universities have 1TB of data or more.

I have no problem putting the metadata in the DB, but if we put the
bodies in as well the DBA's throw a fit, is just about bearable for
Oracle although shifting backups starts to become a problem, but we have
seen some interesting results when a few 100G goes into a MySQL db under
innodb, not least query times.

So the question becomes, how bad transactionally is having a DB based
PersistanceManager and content (the BLOBS) on the filesystem?

I might be getting confused at this point, and confusing you with my
lack of knowledge and terminology.... so in my Workspace definition I am
using

    <PersistenceManager
class="org.sakaiproject.jcr.jackrabbit.sakai.SakaiPersistanceManager">
             <param name="schema" value="${db.dialect}"/>
             <param name="schemaObjectPrefix" value="jcr_${wsp.name}_"/>
             <param name="externalBLOBs" value="${content.filesystem}"/>
         </PersistenceManager>

Where SakaiPersistanceManager simple overrides the getConnection()
method of the standard DB persistence manager.

The DB is a standalone mysql, or Oracle instance.

Any pointers would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Ian