jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Next Generation Persistence
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:11:44 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> In fact most of that could already be achieved by a Batch
> implementation that is backed by the draft revision. The main problem
> at the moment is that the client still needs to keep a full copy of
> everything it passes to the Batch in order to properly support reading
> transient changes. Would it be possible to add getter methods to the
> Batch interface?

a batch is distinct from transient changes because it potentially is only a
subset of the transient changes (when save is called on an item that is not the
root node and the workspace has changes not just below that item). as a
consequence a batch is only created when save is called. whether a 'full copy'
is required depends on the SPI implementation. it is also possible to interpret
the client-side calls on the batch directly into server-side calls of the native
store. in that case no copies are created except whatever is required/needed in
the native storage.

counter question: would it be possible to create a draft revision that is
immediately persisted?

I'd rather not create objects in the core or the server that are long lived and
potentially not used because a client decides to discard a draft revision.

regards
  marcel