jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Savas Triantafillou" <savvas.triantafil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strange behavior on upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:30:32 GMT
On 3/14/07, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Savas,
>
> Savas Triantafillou wrote:
> > the whole directory... not only indeces...
>
> if you were more specific this would be a lot easier :-/
>
> I asked about the exact directories you deleted. but anyway...
>
> if you delete the whole 'repository home' directory, all data is removed
> and you
> will start with an empty repository and just the default workspace.
>
> but it seems that's not the case. therefore I assume what you really
> deleted was
> the 'repository' directory (contains folders: index, meta, namespaces,
> nodetypes) in your 'repository home' directory.

What I did was to delete  the whole repository home directory that is both
the 'repository' and 'workpaces'
directories

> the funny thing is that there was no error no warning message...
> >
> > To be more specific the only change that I have made was that I have
> > removed
> > from cnd file
> > some namespace declarations that were no longer in use in the custom
> node
> > types.
> >
> > I have tried to remove these namespaces using JCR API but an exception
> was
> > thrown saying that
> > "unregistering namespaces is not supported"
> >
> > that is why I have deleted namepsaces frmo cnd, deleted all files under
> > repository directoy
> > and started Repository in order to get the changes
>
> please note that what you did is quite dangerous because you deleted parts
> of
> the repository internal data and assumed that jackrabbit will be fine
> re-creating it. however this only applies to the index directories.
> everything
> else *must not* be touched or if you do at your own risk.

I understand this and believe me it is the last time I did this !!!

getting back to your problem. because you deleted the repository directory
> and
> at the same time upgraded to 1.2.1, the re-created index for the
> jcr:system tree
> used another mechanism for namespace resolution than before. See:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-669
> The change is backward compatible but fails to work properly if you only
> re-index the jcr:system index.
>
> what you have to do is, delete the directory repository/index and also all
> workspaces/*/index directories. then the queries will work properly even
> after
> the migration.

However, how do you explain the fact that despite all of the above if I do a
resave of all the nodes in the repository
queries seem to be working fine ?

and again just to avoid confusion: if one migrates from 1.x to 1.2.x there
> is no
> need to re-index the content! but if you do wish to re-index the content
> (for
> whatever reason) you have to re-index the whole repository.
>
> regards
>   marcel

Thank you very much for your help

Savvas