jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Dony <olivier.d...@denali.be>
Subject Re: Possible deadlock of jcr-server 1.2.1 (rmi)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:30:59 GMT
Hi,

For the record I've created JCR-790 and attached the thread dump and
Marcel's lock explanation.

Miro's workaround of putting an additional level of synchronization
on all write operations on the repository is not quite suitable in
our case. Not only because of the performance hit, but we will soon
need to load-balance the backoffice application too, and implementing
an additional cross-application synchronization mechanism does not
really make sense.

As for this specific deadlock, it seems that it comes from the fact
that a new versionable node is being initialized while another one is
being saved.
I suppose it may not be a good idea to fix this with a hack if a
bigger redesign is needed. However if that redesign is only coming in
several months, a little hack might be ok for a while ;-)
It really depends on the frequency of occurrence, so we'll see how it
goes for us and if we can gather more info.

Thanks for the quick answers!

--
Olivier Dony

Denali s.a., "Bridging the gap between Business and IT"
Rue de Clairvaux 8, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Office: +32 10 43 99 51  Fax: +32 10 43 99 52
www.denali.be

Legal Notice: This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive
this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any
action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
received this message by mistake, please advise the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.