jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Possible deadlock of jcr-server 1.2.1 (rmi)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:57:49 GMT
hi,
we analyzed the issue several times and most of the fixes were hacks
to prevent deadlocks and data corruption.
imo, we can't fixed the transaction/concurrency issues that occur
together with versioning without a bigger redesign of some of the core
parts of jackrabbit.

regards, toby

On 3/14/07, Miro Walker <miro.walker@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've been aware of this issue for a while. Unfortunately, the locking
> implementation is pretty hard to disentangle, and we haven't been able
> to come up with a fix. However, we have been able to work around it by
> adding an extra level of synchronisation in our own application that
> ensures only one simultaneous versioning operation can occur. I guess
> it depends how big a hit this would be as to whether it would be a
> suitable solution for anyone else.
>
> Miro
>
> On 3/14/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Seems like another case of the age-old JCR-18 issue with concurrent
> > versioning. Both of the updates contain some versioning operations,
> > and since concurrent versioning is at the moment still a rather
> > dangerous sport, I'm not surprised if bad things like a deadlock can
> > occur.
> >
> > Any contributions in further diagnosing and resolving the concurrent
> > versioning issues would be very much appreciated!
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > Jukka Zitting

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97