jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Possible deadlock of jcr-server 1.2.1 (rmi)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:21:45 GMT
hi,
this seems involve the version manager and search index - we saw such
problems before but i though we were able to remove those deadlocks
:-( i don't think that RMI causes this problem - maybe just alters the
concurrency compared to direct access.

the best would be if you create a new jira issue and attach the thread
dump. if you can reproduce it by a simple test case - that would be
even better.

regards, toby

On 3/13/07, Olivier Dony <olivier.dony@denali.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using the Repository Server deployment model for one of our
> systems, with 3 different web applications using the same jackrabbit
> server.
> Each webapp is running in a separate Tomcat5 server, and jackrabbit
> 1.2.1 is running as a jcr server in a 3rd Tomcat server.
>
> Everything has been doing fine for weeks, but yesterday the
> jackrabbit server suddenly stopped responding to all requests,
> seemingly deadlocked.
> We had the opportunity to take a threadump of the jackrabbit server
> before performing an emergency restart, which solved the situation.
>
> The thread dump is attached. I tried to make some sense out of it,
> but the read/write locks are hard to follow.
> Looks like all RMI-handling thread are waiting to acquire a reader
> lock on the SharedItemStateManager, except one which is waiting for a
> writer lock.
> None appear to be ready to release a lock, which is why I suppose
> they were deadlocked.
>
> Is this maybe related to a lock that isn't reentrant but should be?
> Or not?
> Can anybody see anything there?
>
> Thanks a lot for having a look!
>

> --
> Olivier Dony
>
> Denali s.a., "Bridging the gap between Business and IT"
> Rue de Clairvaux 8, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
> Office: +32 10 43 99 51  Fax: +32 10 43 99 52
> www.denali.be
>
> Legal Notice: This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
> information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive
> this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any
> action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
> received this message by mistake, please advise the sender
> immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your
> system. Thank you for your cooperation.

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97