jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Shane Preater" <shane.prea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Possible deadlock of jcr-server 1.2.1 (rmi)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:02:47 GMT
Does this sound familiar!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Olivier Dony <olivier.dony@denali.be>
Date: 13-Mar-2007 17:19
Subject: Possible deadlock of jcr-server 1.2.1 (rmi)
To: dev@jackrabbit.apache.org

Hi,

We are using the Repository Server deployment model for one of our
systems, with 3 different web applications using the same jackrabbit
server.
Each webapp is running in a separate Tomcat5 server, and jackrabbit
1.2.1 is running as a jcr server in a 3rd Tomcat server.

Everything has been doing fine for weeks, but yesterday the
jackrabbit server suddenly stopped responding to all requests,
seemingly deadlocked.
We had the opportunity to take a threadump of the jackrabbit server
before performing an emergency restart, which solved the situation.

The thread dump is attached. I tried to make some sense out of it,
but the read/write locks are hard to follow.
Looks like all RMI-handling thread are waiting to acquire a reader
lock on the SharedItemStateManager, except one which is waiting for a
writer lock.
None appear to be ready to release a lock, which is why I suppose
they were deadlocked.

Is this maybe related to a lock that isn't reentrant but should be?
Or not?
Can anybody see anything there?

Thanks a lot for having a look!

--
Olivier Dony

Denali s.a., "Bridging the gap between Business and IT"
Rue de Clairvaux 8, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Office: +32 10 43 99 51  Fax: +32 10 43 99 52
www.denali.be

Legal Notice: This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive
this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any
action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
received this message by mistake, please advise the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.