jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web based JCR browser - Interests, OS, contribution
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:32:21 GMT
Hi,

On 3/22/07, Hendrik Beck (camunda) <hendrik.beck@camunda.com> wrote:
> About a year ago my company needed a web based application to browse and
> edit a JCR repository. Initially there was no intention to develop a
> full-blown tool to administer or maintain repositories, but from time to
> time some more features were added. I would like to make it Open-Source
> (e.g. SourceForge) or contribute it to the Jackrabbit team. I saw a couple
> of Eclipse-based browsers and I read about some plans to develop web-based
> applications, but nothing real released yet. Is somebody working on a web
> application? Are you interested in our application?

Sounds interesting! There is an existing jcr-navigator contrib project
in the Jackrabbit trunk that does somethign similar, but it's not
being actively worked on. There is certainly interest in such tools
and I'd be very happy to see interested developers joining forces
either on a Jackrabbit subproject or an external open source project.

> As I haven't anything to present right now, maybe I can give a short
> overview. The system is based on plain JSF, so no fancy AJAX-features etc.
> At the moment it can do the following:
> [...]
> Ok, I would be eager to hear some opinions and - if you are interested -
> what would be the best way to publish it. Just publishing a la SourceForge
> or is there another way to "contribute" the project?

Cool, I'd be thrilled to try it out! Can make the code or an example
installation available somewhere on the net?

We have the Jackrabbit "contrib" directory for various contributed
components, but it is mostly useful for relatively stable
contributions or ones that are actively being worked on by Jackrabbit
committers. A project at SourceForge or some other hosting environment
is an low-overhead way of getting the code out and cooperative
development started.

> And one more problem: the connection to the repository was quite a
> proprietary solution (repository was available via JBoss MBean). So the
> webapp is not really usable at the moment for other people. Do you have any
> suggestions how to implement the connection in a way, that as many people as
> possible can use it? Then I would implement it and people could use it with
> their own repositories (or at least then you could have a look at it).

The best practice is to use JNDI to lookup the repository instance.
See http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/deploy/howto-client.html for
instructions for the webapp. Different containers have different
mechanisms for JNDI configuration, but the webapp itself should need
no modification.

BR,

Jukka Zitting