jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Strange behavior on upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:07:02 GMT
Hi Savas,

Savas Triantafillou wrote:
> the whole directory... not only indeces...

if you were more specific this would be a lot easier :-/

I asked about the exact directories you deleted. but anyway...

if you delete the whole 'repository home' directory, all data is removed and you
will start with an empty repository and just the default workspace.

but it seems that's not the case. therefore I assume what you really deleted was
the 'repository' directory (contains folders: index, meta, namespaces,
nodetypes) in your 'repository home' directory.

> the funny thing is that there was no error no warning message...
>
> To be more specific the only change that I have made was that I have
> removed
> from cnd file
> some namespace declarations that were no longer in use in the custom node
> types.
>
> I have tried to remove these namespaces using JCR API but an exception was
> thrown saying that
> "unregistering namespaces is not supported"
>
> that is why I have deleted namepsaces frmo cnd, deleted all files under
> repository directoy
> and started Repository in order to get the changes

please note that what you did is quite dangerous because you deleted parts of
the repository internal data and assumed that jackrabbit will be fine
re-creating it. however this only applies to the index directories. everything
else *must not* be touched or if you do at your own risk.

getting back to your problem. because you deleted the repository directory and
at the same time upgraded to 1.2.1, the re-created index for the jcr:system tree
used another mechanism for namespace resolution than before. See:
The change is backward compatible but fails to work properly if you only
re-index the jcr:system index.

what you have to do is, delete the directory repository/index and also all
workspaces/*/index directories. then the queries will work properly even after
the migration.

and again just to avoid confusion: if one migrates from 1.x to 1.2.x there is no
need to re-index the content! but if you do wish to re-index the content (for
whatever reason) you have to re-index the whole repository.

regards
  marcel