jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Hendrik Beck \(camunda\)" <hendrik.b...@camunda.com>
Subject Web based JCR browser - Interests, OS, contribution
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:37:49 GMT
Hi all!

About a year ago my company needed a web based application to browse and
edit a JCR repository. Initially there was no intention to develop a
full-blown tool to administer or maintain repositories, but from time to
time some more features were added. I would like to make it Open-Source
(e.g. SourceForge) or contribute it to the Jackrabbit team. I saw a couple
of Eclipse-based browsers and I read about some plans to develop web-based
applications, but nothing real released yet. Is somebody working on a web
application? Are you interested in our application?

As I haven't anything to present right now, maybe I can give a short
overview. The system is based on plain JSF, so no fancy AJAX-features etc.
At the moment it can do the following:

- Browse a content repository
- Show properties as well as definition information of nodes and properties
- Edit (nearly) all types of properties, single and multiple values
(although manipulation of NAME, REFERENCE and PATH could be improved, but
basically it works)
- XML Import/Export
- Queries are just being implemented
- But it doesn't have a really good ui layout ;-)

Ok, I would be eager to hear some opinions and - if you are interested -
what would be the best way to publish it. Just publishing a la SourceForge
or is there another way to "contribute" the project?

And one more problem: the connection to the repository was quite a
proprietary solution (repository was available via JBoss MBean). So the
webapp is not really usable at the moment for other people. Do you have any
suggestions how to implement the connection in a way, that as many people as
possible can use it? Then I would implement it and people could use it with
their own repositories (or at least then you could have a look at it).

Thanks in advance and greetz
Hendrik Beck