jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Miro Walker" <miro.wal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transactions & DB Persistence Managers
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:06:42 GMT
Hi Jukka,

> I'll add a third one that doesn't really solve the underlying issue
> about transactions, but would avoid the content integrity problems:
>
> 3. Rearrange the versioning operations so that modifications in the
> version storage are always committed before modifications in the
> normal workspace. Since there are no references from the version
> storage to the normal workspace, this cannot introduce consistency
> issues.

Yeah - we discussed this as well, and it seems like a sensible
short-term workaround although it's masking rather than solving the
issue. The rather worrying thing at the moment is that all of the
transaction roll-backs we've seen have been software rather than
hardware or network failures (NPEs, etc.).

> I think the DB PM/FS configuration is most often covered by the
> externalBLOBs configuration option that will get all ItemState content
> stored in the configured PM database.

The real issue for us has been around workspace management - if a
workspace is created on the fly (as we do using workspaces to model
releases), then the DB FS is essential. In a single-workspace
environment, I can see how it might be less interesting.

> Anyway, I'm open to alternatives in this area as I agree that while
> the current persistence model does work very well for the core
> features, there are features that are adversely affected by the
> current design. Any rework in this area will however need to take the
> installed base of Jackrabbit repositories in account. Upgrades to the
> persistence model would most likely mean major version updates for
> Jackrabbit.

Have you or anyone else started thinking about a wish-list for a next
major release and/or a timeframe? I'm guessing you're waiting to be
driven by jsr-283?

Cheers,

miro