jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Jackrabbit restructuring ahead
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 01:32:38 GMT
hI,

> I'm planning to go forward with the folder renames and other
> restructurings outlined in JCR-612 during the weekend.

The restructuring is now done, see JCR-612 and the associated svn
commits for the gory details. During the same process I also created
or verified Maven 2 builds for all the main (non-contrib) components,
so JCR-332 is also now resolved. Together these changes make the
Jackrabbit source tree and build environment much more manageable and
modular.

There are most certainly issues that I have overlooked, so please file
Jira issues for any problems you may come across. I'll be prepared to
check and resolve such issues ASAP during the next few days.

> Once I'm finished I'll also send brief instructions on how to best update
> your working copies to the new structure.

All the structural changes happened within the Jackrabbit trunk. Most
of the changes were simple folder renames, but the jackrabbit-core
project got split into four parts. See below for the outline of the
changes:

  jackrabbit
    -> jackrabbit-core, jackrabbit-api,
       jackrabbit-jcr-commons, jackrabbit-jcr-tests
  jca
    -> jackrabbit-jca
  jcr-rmi
    -> jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
  jcr-server
    -> jackrabbit-jcr-server
  textfilters
    -> jackrabbit-index-filters
  webapp
    -> jackrabbit-webapp
  webdav
    -> jackrabbit-webdav

The easiest way to get started with the new project structure is to
get a fresh checkout of the entire trunk:

    svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk jackrabbit

If you already have a checkout that you want to keep, you need to "svn
switch" it to use the new path. Use the "svn info" command to get the
current URL of your local copy, modify the URL based on the table
below, and run "svn switch" using the modified URL as the  argument.
This will update your working copy to use the new project structure
and you should be able to "svn update" without problems.

    OLD URL                  NEW URL
    .../trunk/jackrabbit     .../trunk/jackrabbit-core
    .../trunk/jca            .../trunk/jackrabbit-jca
    .../trunk/jcr-rmi        .../trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
    .../trunk/jcr-server     .../trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-server
    .../trunk/textfilters    .../trunk/jackrabbit-index-filters
    .../trunk/webapp         .../trunk/jackrabbit-webapp
    .../trunk/webdav         .../trunk/jackrabbit-webdav

If you have a checkout of the jackrabbit-core component, you should
update it and get fresh checkouts of the new jackrabbit-api,
jackrabbit-jcr-commons, and jackrabbit-jcr-tests components.
Alternatively you can get those dependencies from the Maven 2 snapshot
repository at http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the process! I'd especially
like to mention Jan Kuzniak, Angela Schreiber, Fabrizio Giustina,
Christoph Kiehl, and Przemo Pakulski, whose contributions made this
upgrade possible. Thanks!

BR,

Jukka Zitting