jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicolas " <nto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:56:01 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On 11/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> wrt WorkspaceImporter: i agree that it's not suited for restoring meta
> data,
> it was not designed for this use case and IMO it's the wrong approach
> as i've pointed out repeatedly. 'import' and 'restore' operations have IMO
> completely different semantics.

Actually the backup tool is not using WorkspaceImporter in the backup tool.
We use a class heavily based on it with some changes disseminated throughout
all the code. It is a bad solution and I acknowledge it.

The idea is to extract out of WorkspaceImporter a base class (but first it
needs refactoring). We would then use it for the WorkspaceImporter and a new
RestoreImporter class. This way the common code would not be duplicated but
each class would be able to express their own semantics.

As Frederique's use case points it out, I believe there is a need for those
kind of low level operations and not only for the backup tool.

What other approach do you please suggest?

BR,
Nico