jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicolas " <nto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:45:09 GMT
Hi Jukka,

> I agree that it might be worth exploring also alternatives to the
> current backup/restore design. For example a specialized import/export
> interface that works directly at the PersistenceManager level could
> simplify and considerably speed up things at the expense of adding
> another low-level dependency and leaving all the consistency issues
> open.

A specialized import/export interface is close to my first design idea. I
put it away for several reasons, mainly the "duration" of the format. If we
use a custom backup format, we will have to support it forever. SystemView
is already supported "forever" since it is defined in the JCR. Therefore it
is a good format to ensure any backup will still be usable years later.

Another point: thanks to its design, we can quite easily rewrite a few parts
of the backup tool to turn it into a JCR backup system. (The restore would
have to be handled on case by case basis.)

BR,
Nico