jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>
Subject Re: Query performance for large query results
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:15:05 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> The best way to solve your issue would be to somehow let the client
> instruct the repository that only the first 20 results are needed.
> Then there would be no need for any extra trickery.
>
> Perhaps a Jackrabbit-specific extension (or something in JSR 283) like:
>
>    public interface JackrabbitQuery extends Query {
>
>        /**
>         * Sets the maximum size of the result set returned
>         * when this query is executed.
>         */
>        void setLimit(long limit);
>
>    }

This would indeed solve our Problem. But I need a solution quite soon, because
out repository is constantly growing and search is too slow. What do the others
think about adding such an interface to jackrabbit?
I was looking for a solution that is still compatible to the jcr 1.0 api, but
I'm okay with this solution since we already use a few jackrabbit extensions and
are unlikely to exchange jackrabbit for another jcr implementation.

> Note that this would still only improve performance when result set
> ordering is disabled.

Yeah, document ordering is disabled anyway in our product.

Cheers,
Christoph