jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r473755 [1/43] - in /jackrabbit/trunk/contrib/jcr-browser: ./ src/ src/main/ src/main/java/ src/main/java/org/ src/main/java/org/apache/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/browser/ src/main/resour
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:18:40 GMT
On Nov 13, 2006, at 2:21 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> If we are not planning on maintaining the dojo files as a fork,
>> then we include installation instructions with the webapp, or an
>> install script that builds a webapp from our source and the latest
>> tarball from dojo.  The only time that we would distribute both is
>> when the RM builds a release, at which time the RM would install
>> the best available version of dojo inside the release jar.
>
> I really prefer to have as few manual steps as possible in both normal
> and release builds. Making the build script automatically download
> Dojo is IMHO out of the question unless we want to reinvent Maven or
> Ivy.

There is no need.  If the file is not present, tell the person running
the build to make it present by downloading the package.  We do that
all the time in other projects -- building from subversion is not a
"user" process.

>> We do not need it in our subversion unless we plan on forking the
>> dojo content.  We are talking about 20MB of *source*.
>
> I see two reasonable alternatives if we don't want to have the Dojo
> source tree as individual files in our svn:
>
> * Include a Dojo release zip instead of the individual source files,
> and instruct Maven to extract the contents into the webapp at build
> time.
>
> * Use svn:externals to get the source directly from the Dojo svn
> repository.

No, svn:externals is evil.  Placing a specific jar in our subversion
is not recommended either, but at least that gets us out of problems
associated with forking dojo (jar format is just gzipped tar and,
unlike zip, is guaranteed to work on all platforms that we care about).
OTOH, you can just encourage dojo to release a source jar to maven.

I don't understand why you need to make the webapp build process
in "as few manual steps as possible".  That's why people write
release scripts.

....Roy